On hot days in the spring and summer I like a cool light meal, and to take advantage of all the fresh produce in the market. Below are some of my favorite recipes for this time of year. Measurements are a rough guide, I largely cook by look, feel and taste. All recipes below are vegan.
Raw Shitake Chickpea Salad
- 1 can Chick Peas
- 8oz Fresh Shitake Mushrooms
- 1/2 bunch scallions
- 1 Tablespoon Seasame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Lime Juice
- 1 Teaspoon jarred minced garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Parsley Flakes
- Mix Seasame oil, Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar, Lime Juice, Minced Garlic and Parsley Flakes in large bowl and let sit
- Drain and rinse chick peas and mix well into dressing
- Cut scallions and shiatake mushrooms and in with chick peas.
Black Bean Salad
- 1 can Black Beans
- 1 can corn (small or lg depending on your preference)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chillis
- 1/4 lg red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
- dried or fresh cilantro
- Tortilla Chips
- Mix equal parts balsamic vinegar and olive oil in salad bowl, add dash of lime juice, forkful minced garlic, chilli powder, and cilantro to taste.
- Rinse and drain black beans and corn, and mix into dressing.
- Drain tomatoes with chillis and mix into salad with red onion.
- For better flavor leave to cool in fridge for half hour, serve with tortilla chips.
Baby Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- Baby Spinach
- Red Onion
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Oil Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Red Bell Pepper
- Chick Peas Rinsed
- In a separate bowl mix dressing, equal parts balsamic and olive oil, forkful of minced garlic, and a sprinkle on top of oregano
- Chop up veggies and mix with baby spinach
- Serve, stir dressing well prior to pouring.